St Matthews is a Grade II listed building, the church is a “chapel of ease”, so named because of the ease of access to a church for the villagers. It is daughter church to St Andrew’s’ Clifton Campville and is of medieval origin.In 1842 the original building was demolished and a new building erected on the same foundations with brick wails and a small bell tower, several of the old roof beams were reused and it is possible to see the letter M, a chained dragon and a wolf on the bosses of these timbers.
The church which stands in the village today dates from 1885, when under instruction of Mrs Robertson of Netherseale Hall, Netherseale, South Derbyshire. The walls were encased in white sand stone coursed ashlar, these alterations were made in memory of her late husband and her only son. Three stained glass windows were erected at the same time, two in memory of the Robertson family.
The church consists of a nave, chancel and timber framed porch, the floor following the building work of 1842, was composed of red and black tiles in a diamond pattern which are still present today in the chancel area, the nave flooring has at some time been replaced with wooden block flooring.
The font probably dates from the 14th Century.
The original oak pews and benches have been replaced with oak chairs although, at the rear of the church, two original pews can still be seen and are used at times of major festivals in the churches’ year.